Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Why I've created Garden Diary

This application was created at the request of my wife Victoria. She loves house plants and cares for a small indoor garden. Several times I started working on this problem, but every time delayed due to other cases. At first, I planned to write a small program for desktop computers, but then I thought that the gardeners are not very convinient to walk around the garden with a computer. As time went on sale tablets iPad, Andoid and other. But I did not know very well how to write applications for them. So I decided to make a web application running on any device. It's really cool when any user starts to work immediately with your application without any installations and configurations. Now that everything is almost ready I can say what Garden Diary can do. First, you can record all your plants, along with their pictures. Then enter for each plant the necessary procedures that you do on a regular basis such as watering, fertilizing, weeding and so on. All procedures are automatically placed in the to-do list that needs to be done, and then implement them in your annual Gardener's Journal. Just in time to create this application, I listened to amazing lectures by Steve Huffman on udasity.com where he suggested how to use Google Map in own web applications. It was a great idea. Now, any gardener can show all his plants directly on the map and the program will show when and where he should work now. I hope Garden Diary will be useful not only my wife but also to other gardeners and plant lovers. itgardendiary

No comments:

Post a Comment